Sunday, March 22, 2020

testing out paint from the real paint co.


Our Sunday started off as a beautiful sunny day but at around 4pm, the clouds came in and now it is raining. So we painted our volcano for tomorrow's mini lesson on volcanos.

I was in search of nontoxic, kid friendly and environmentally safe paint for us to use. I always felt bad washing paint brushes in the sink because I knew the paint would go into our water system. Today, we sampled paint from The Real Milk Co. It's a powder that you mix with water. According to their website, "their formula is made with 100% organic ingredients, nontoxic, food contact safe, VOC free and even biodegradable/compostable." I wish their samples came in little glass jars instead of plastic but I have to pick and choose my battles.


It took some time for me to mix the powder and water together. I didn't want to use the entire sample because I knew we weren't going to need it all so I used a little dropper to add the water as I was mixing. The colors I chose were cocoa, mocha and black iron. After we were done, the volcano ended up looking like one color but we'll see how it turns out tomorrow when it dries. It could be because my kids eventually mixed the colors together as they were painting.

Each sample was $3.50 and if I wanted to get a set of 6 basic colors, it would cost roughly around $21 but they have a flat rate of $10 for shipping. That ends up being a little pricey for 1 oz containers. There's another company I would like to try so I'll post an update on which ones we liked best.

Hopefully everyone else is having a nice and relaxing Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment